Sunday, March 2, 2014

A Handmade Bread Board

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download

 Hello, friends.  I hope you are all doing well.

Like you, my heart is breaking for the lost lives in CT.  All weekend my thoughts and prayers have been with the parents, the teachers, the families, all those affected by the tragedy.  Every time I think about what each parent must be going through right now, I am blinking back tears and mourning.


 This afternoon while everyone was napping, I went into the kitchen and started some bread.  While I listened to the gentle rain outside, I felt so very thankful for my two little girls, tucked safely in their beds.  There is not a second that goes by that I am not thankful for them, but it is certainly times like this were reminded to hug those we love a little tighter. 


 When Jillian woke up we thought wed put together a light Sunday supper of bread, fruit and cheese to nibble on. 


 We enjoyed corralling everything together on this bread board that Justus made for me yesterday.  We had some old barn wood planks laying around and one of them was just the perfect width to use for making one. 


I love the patina of the old wood and the fact that it was made with a loved ones hands.  I know Ill treasure it forever. 


Yesterday I took some photos of Justus making the bread board... its really quite simple if you have the tools (or at least it looked it from my end - smile) and it doesnt matter if it isnt perfect... to me that just adds to its appeal. 


(I am glad with the rain today that we spent plenty of time outside yesterday playing... I love Saturdays with my sweet family.)


 Justus measured the plank to desired dimensions and cut with a jigsaw.  He was concerned that the board wasnt perfect, but I assured him that it didnt matter one bit to me. 


 Then he sanded the board until it was very smooth and applied a butcher block oil.  You can see here that the plank originally might have had some water damage. 


 We used this butcher block oil by Watco, which is completely food safe.  I plan to use this on my butcher block countertops here soon too. 


 We simply followed the instructions on the back of the oil and rubbed it in with a soft, clean cloth.  The oil darkens the wood beautifully and shows its wonderful character. 

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment